FEDERATION OF ASSOCIATIONS OF FORMER INTERNATIONAL CIVIL SERVANTS
PROCEDURE FOR THE CREATION OF A PENSIONERS' ASSOCIATION
Since there are increasing numbers of United Nations pensioners now living in countries or locations where an Association of Former International Servants does not presently exist, there may be a desire to create an Association by some former international civil servants. Thus, the suggested steps listed below may be of some assistance in creating an Association or bringing UN System pensioners together for social events.
1. The first prerequisite would seem to be the desire on the part of one or more former international civil servants in a country or location where there are a number of UN System pensioners to serve as the focal point and do the necessary work to create an Association or to bring these pensioners together for social events as a preliminary step to creating an Association.
2. When there are one or more UN System pensioners in a country or location that want to serve as the focal point and perform the work required to create an Association or to bring pensioners together for a social event, the first step should be to contact the President of the "Federation of Associations of Former International Civil Servants" (FAFICS), (see para. 9) with a request to provide information and guidance.
3. The President of FAFICS can provide the focal point with specific advice on how to create an Association, as well as arrange to send copies of the statutes or by-laws of other Associations that could serve as a model. Additionally, copies of the FAFICS statutes and the criteria for Membership of FAFICS, can be sent by the FAFICS Secretariat (see also para. 10).
4. In addition, the President of FAFICS can serve as the channel with the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund in New York for contacting, by mail, all UN System pensioners in the country or location involved.
5. The President of FAFICS can also assist in the preparation of a letter that could be sent by the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund in New York to all UN System pensioners in the country or location informing them of the desire to create an Association or to bring UN System pensioners together for a social event, as well as the name, address, telephone, FAX or e-mail address of the focal point.
6. The letter sent to the UN System pensioners informing them of the desire to create an Association or to hold a social event should provide the reasons for creating an Association, its aims or goals, the possible benefits for pensioners, the envisioned contacts with the Government and the expected methods of operation.
7. Once replies are received to the letters sent to UN System pensioners in the country or location, the focal point(s) would be required to follow through and carry out the necessary work, with the assistance and guidance of the President of FAFICS, to create an Association or to hold a social event.
8. After a group of UN System pensioners has been established in a country or location, the successive steps should be determined so as to reflect the desires of the majority of the group, i.e. to seek a formal corporate or legal structure with statutes or by-laws, or to remain as an informal group only for social events, to have membership fees or dues, etc. However, once this step is reached, major progress has been made in the organization of UN System pensioners in a country or location and the President of FAFICS would be in a position to suggest subsequent courses of action that might be followed.
9. The name, address, telephone number, fax number of the President of FAFICS are:
Mrs. Linda Saputelli
New York, USA
Tel:+1212 963 2943
10. The FAFICS Secretariat can be helpful by providing documents and additional information to focal points. It is located at the UN Office in Geneva, at the following mailing address:
c/o Room A-265
Palais des Nations
CH-1211 GENEVA 10 (Switzerland) Office telephone :
+41 22 917 22 25 Home telephone :
+41 79 718 62 58
e-mail address at the office : email@example.com
Web page created 2009-08-24 / Last modified 2015-02-16
Please send your questions, comments and suggestions to us by letter or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2015 FAFICS (See Disclaimer)